As a structure resulting from a regional cooperation, the RMIFC is governed by the following instruments:
- The Hosting Accord between the Republic of Madagascar and the Indian Ocean Commission for the establishment of the Regional Maritime Information Fusion Centre (RMIFC) in the territory of the Republic of Madagascar on February 18th, 2016;
- The Djibouti Declaration on MaritimeSafety and Security in the Eastern and Southern Africa and the Indian Ocean (ESA-IO) by the Ministers and High Representatives of the ESA-IO of 15 May 2016;
- The Regional Agreement for the Exchange and Sharing of Maritime Information;
- The Maritime Information Exchange and Sharing MOUs for non ESA-IO countries and for regional and international organizations;
- The Technical Arrangements between RMIFC and other centers in the region and internationally;
- Standard Operating Procedures for the exchange and the sharing of maritime information.