The NMIFC, which is the body hosting the RMIFC, is a Public Administrative Establishment governed by the Decree 2015-998 of the 23th June 2015, modified and completed by Decree 2016-1446 of 1st December 2016 creating, organizing and operating a maritime Informations Fusion Center. The RMIFC’s status are devoted in the articles 8 (new), articles 26 and following
As a structure resulting from a regional cooperation, the RMIFC is governed by the following instruments:
- The Hosting Accord between the Republic of Madagascar and the Indian Ocean Commission for the establishment of the Regional Maritime Information Fusion Centre (RMIFC) in the territory of the Republic of Madagascar on February 18th, 2016;
- The Djibouti Declaration on MaritimeSafety and Security in the Eastern and Southern Africa and the Indian Ocean (ESA-IO) by the Ministers and High Representatives of the ESA-IO of 15 May 2016;
- The Regional Agreement for the Exchange and Sharing of Maritime Information;
- The Maritime Information Exchange and Sharing MOUs for non ESA-IO countries and for regional and international organizations;
- The Technical Arrangements between RMIFC and other centers in the region and internationally;
- Standard Operating Procedures for the exchange and the sharing of maritime information.